The purpose of this section is to outline the core game mechanics of Sunflower Land and the game design process. We believe in transparency and players deserve to know how the game is being built and the future plans.
The goal of this section is to:
- Align the core team and contributors on the game’s vision
- Outline the game design methodology and processes we use
- Provide consistent guidelines for narrative, theme and aesthetics
- Give transparency to players around the future of the game.
We believe a community deserves full transparency into a game that they are investing their time. However, do not make game or financial decisions based on this document. This game design document is a live document. This means that details may change as we learn and grow.
Sunflower Land is an open-ended town building game where every resource is tokenised on the Blockchain.
Genre - Casual Target Audience - Non crypto natives
- Everything is tokenised
- Community owned aspect amplified by Web3 adoption/identities
- Real world market interactions and decisions
- Low barrier to entry and simplicity that NFTs game lack
The player embarks on a quest of discovery and accomplishment as they expand land, discover new resources, buildings and items. A player develops a sense of pride in the progress they have made, rare items they collect, towns they design and characters they develop. This is amplified by the social aspect of the game and community driven nature of Web3 projects.
The key motivations of a player are:
- 1.Achievement - Unlocking new levels, characters, buildings & resources
- 2.Creativity - Expressing your identity via crafting, customization and design of land and NFT Profile Pictures
- 3.Social - Collaboration and desire for belonging in a community
Over a player’s timeline the game gives more freedom to a player in the direction of their town.
The key choices we want a player to make are:
- 1.Short term wins or long term approach - Does a player take quick rewards or invest into their town (e.g building upgrades) to ensure future prosperity
- 2.Specialisation - Focus on food production or SFL production?
- 3.Risk on scarcity - Time and stock limited items that the player must decide whether to craft resources immediately or wait assuming they will have time in the future to craft it.
- 4.Identity - What items to collect for land + PFP that represents their identity in the community.
Each crypto asset is owned by a player and can be freely traded on markets outside of the game if the player wishes. This is expected to evolve into emergent gameplay and strategies developing outside of the initial design. Traditional games lack this feature and this is something we want to embrace.